Powered by Squarespace
Members Only Forum

Cardiff Castle 

On June 24th and 25th we were invited once again to help the Regimental Band begin their Beating the Retreat ceremony, this year we had the added bonus of two visitors from the Canadian 41st Foot.

Again the event took place in the glorious evening sunshine, we were visited by many dignitaries who were invited to the ceremony.

Saturday 25th the 41st acted as Guard of Honour for the opening of "The Firing Line" the new Regimental museum.  The museum was officially opened by HRH The Prince of Wales who chatted with our drummer prior to the ceremony.

After the official opening, HRH The Prince of Wales chatted with our camp follower Sheila, reviewed the guard, who were joined by Tom and Ray our Canadian colleagues and our longtime friend and champion, John Dart ex RSM of The Welsh.



Llandovery Sheep Festival

Saturday morning saw the regiment billeted in the quiet market town of  Llandovery, a town that had seen the execution of Llywelyn ap Gruffydd Fychan for daring to defy a English king.

In the market square where Llywelyn was hung drawn and quartered (not necessarily in that order) the proud 41st would first drill, then patrol and would finally fight with the local ruffians to restore order to this important market town.

Saturday saw a disturbance in the castle.  Pelted by rocks from the locals, the 41st, holding fast against a torrent of missiles finally lost patience with the crowd and upon the order of their Captain, who had given the riotous assembly warning to disperse by reading the riot act,  marched up the castle banks to seize the rioters.  The ring leaders were rounded up, and fittingly lined against the statue dedicated to Llywelyn before being shot, their bodies left as a warning to the rest of the populace.

In the evening the guard of the 41st were called out again, this time to arrest and administer punishment to a drunk who had made a nuisance in front of the dignitaries of that fair town.  Justice was administered swiftly by the drummer using the cat ‘o’ nine and the unfortunate sobered up quickly and made his apologies to all those present.

Saturday saw no more disturbance but Sunday brought fresh  rioters and more rocks thrown at the 41st who, again after  the riot act was read, once more fixed their bayonets and with the weight of the law on their side, marched into the rioters, selecting those who would promote and encourage such disturbance before taking them to the foot of Llywelyn to be summarily executed for their crime.

The 41st left with a promise to return the following year should the populace request it 


Oxford Tactical Weekend

The brave and hardy souls of the 41stmet at Magor services  before setting off on a uneventful journey to some small hamlet on the outskirts of Oxford. 

An evening in the local pub was followed by our intrepid redcoats sleeping in cars and pup tents before arising the next morning to face uncertain weather and an unknown destination. 

We were joined by a detachment of Coldstreams playing the role of light infantry and the 3rd Bat the 95th rifles.  Arranged against us were a motley crew of French and a cannon.

The first day consisted of a 6 mile march across country, and through woods, skirmishing the French as we went.  As afternoon wore on our final mission was to drive the French from our intended base camp and in a glorious advance the 41stflanked by the Coldstreams took the wood and drove on to hold the bridge and secure the parameter.  As night fell a truce was agreed until 10pm to allow both forces to arrange their camps.

The 41st set to work using the canvas sheet carried with them to make shelters and a fire was started.  Food was that period food that we carried in our packs, and weapon checks were made.  At 10 the campaign would start again.

Raiding parties were arranged, first the 95th sullied forth, encountering the French in their camp and conducting an attack in near darkness.  The next to go were the brave 41st.  3 Privates and a Captain left to seek out the French at midnight in total darkness but while they were taking the French Camp the French invaded ours and claimed to have shot our Major.

Our camp stood to, repelled the French and despite several false alarms no further action was seen that night and at 3am we all retired,

Camp was struck at 0830 and the company marched back 1 ½ miles to where the packs could be stored.  Following a briefing, the British force once again took to the road to cover the 1 ½ miles to the last battle field, where the French formed a skirmish line and attempted push us back to the road.  Again with the 95th skirmishing in the woods on our right flank and the Coldstreams  on our left the 41st advanced across the field a quarter of a mile driving the French into the arms of the 95th before with fixed bayonets, finishing them to a man.

The march back with our French prisoners was tiring but satisfying and the all announced that the weekend had been a success but was not for the faint hearted.



Llancaiach Fawr

Late Spring Bank Holiday saw the 41st visit the historic Farmhouse of Llancaiach Fawr, where the weekend was spent with our living history and drill displays.

The weekend saw the newly promoted Slasher accused by a camp follower of theft, which saw the new Corporal's stripes ripped from Slashers jacket.

A happier event saw the Powell family join the regiment, and they even attended on the Monday to join in our weekend.  


Chepstow Castle





Our first weekend event in 2010 saw us visit Chepstow Castle, where we had a wonderful time despite Sunday's weather.

Our new members enjoyed their first weekend camp, and learnt their new drill under the instruction of Slasher who was promoted to the high rank of Corporal.